Well, it’s easy when you know how. This article has just touched on a few of things that you should know about this very rewarding hobby. There is much to learn, but at least you’ve now got a few good ideas to put to work.
It’s not possible for you to have too much solid information regarding jewelry. Knowing about valuable jewelry is especially important if you want to ensure you get a fair price on every piece. These manageable tips will help. You will be able to more easily pick out and keep jewelery pieces looking great if you follow these tips.
1. To distinguish between real and fake, bring a magnet when you shop for sterling silver jewelry. Metals that aren’t precious will connect to the magnet, signaling that it is fake. Another way to tell if a metal is sterling silver is to check for a hallmark stamp, for example .sterling, .ster, or .925. If the piece you’re inspecting doesn’t carry such a mark, be careful, as it is likely a fake.
2. When you are shopping for a diamond, make sure to shop around and compare. Find a few reference pieces that you like, and see if other diamonds can do better. Be careful of tricks that jewelers use to make a diamond look bigger or better.
3. Take note of whether they wear hoop earrings or studs, yellow gold or white gold, an ankle bracelet, etc. By doing this you should have a good idea what to buy them.
4. Look at the latest jewelry trends before purchasing a new pieces. You will enjoy your jewelery even more if you can get it on sale.
5. Taking proper care of your jewelry requires careful consideration. Each kind of setting, metal, and stone has its own particular maintenance need. Along the same lines, enhancing different stones and settings requires you to take different steps. Whenever you buy a new piece of jewelry, ask the jeweler the best way to clean and maintain it.
That includes dry or steam saunas. The reason for this is that the heat and the moisture can taint the jewelry and cause problems.
A clasp that will hold up is a very important part of any necklace or bracelet. Without something that is solid, your chain, pendants and costly stones could be lost. If you have expensive or heirloom items, invest in a safety clasp. Adding more than one clasp to a jewelry piece may even be appropriate to provide greater security against loss.